2017-2019 Honors Sophomore English
May 13, 2017
All of this work is required and will go on your grade. I expect that everyone who shows up for class on the first day of the year will have done this work and will be prepared for a fast start to the year. If you don't want to do the work, you should not be in this class. If you have questions, please email me at email@example.com. Put your name at the end of the email so I know who is writing to me. I check my email all the time.
- Read The Chosen, by Chaim Potok. This is the story of two Jewish boys in New York during World War 2. This books uses paired characters in a very interesting way, i.e. the boys are very different while they both come from a similar heritage.
- Please make sure that you read a complete and unabridged version of this novel. I suggest that you purchase used books either online or from a local used bookstore.
- Many terms in the book will be unfamiliar to you. This link will take you to a glossary of these terms.
- On the second or third day of school, you will take a multiple choice final exam on the book.
- Annotate your text. It is very important that these annotations be thorough and present evidence that you have read the whole book. You will be able to use your annotated book when you write essays throughout the year.
- You can find the instruction sheet for how to mark and annotate your text at the following page: www.murrayschools.org/schools2/mhs/english10h/handouts/default.htm#annotations.
- Annotating a text means means much more than underlining or highlighting selections. You MUST write comments and summaries in the book. If you just highlight or underline, you will not get credit for annotations.
- If you are using a book that you got from the high school, you will need to put post-it notes with your chapter summaries and any other notes you make in the book itself. It's important that you do this work carefully, thoroughly, and do it in the book. I will not accept notes taken on the reading that are not done in the actual book.
- I suggest that you shop for a used copy of the books if you can find them online or in a used book store. In some cases, Barnes & Noble will have in their in-house section complete copies of the books that are an excellent buy.
- Review the essay tutorials that are found on the class web web site at www.murrayschools.org/schools2/mhs/english10/essays. These are all PDF files.
- This is important. You will write your first in-class essay (yes, it will count and be scored just as all the essays in this class are scored) early in first term and you need to know the correct organization for formal academic essays. I expect evidence that you have studied these guides and know the basic essay structure.
The next part of the summer work cannot be completed until August when the classes will be listed on Canvas. Before the start of the school year on Monday, August 21st, log onto Canvas, go to the Honors English 10 course and do the following:
- Read the course disclosure.
Download and fill out the Disclosure Contract. This is a PDF file that you can fill out online. Fill this out completely and bring it with you to class on the first day.
- From the course home page, click on the Syllabus page in the left-side menu.
- Carefully read the course disclosure. Pay particular attention to the late and makeup work guidelines and the rules regarding ear buds, cell phones, and other electronic devices.
- On the Assignments page, open and take the quiz on the disclosure. Your score will go on your grade so take this seriously.