Updated: March 14, 2020, 7:00 pm
Another big thank you to everyone for your efforts during this time of school dismissal, we’ve had lots of excellent, constructive feedback from parents, students, and teachers that has been positive and useful – keep it up!
- District officials have been working remotely, but in communication with one another throughout the day to further discuss and refine the structure and framework of our Digital Home Learning efforts.
- We will be communicating more instructions to parents on Monday regarding internet access, material pickup, and other support-related details.
Updated: March 13, 2020, 5:00 pm
- Statewide Announcement:
- As the Governor has stated ALL schools in Utah (K-12) are dismissed statewide beginning March 16, for a period of two weeks (March 16-27). Murray City School District (MCSD) will continue the online learning plan we launched today.
- We recognize that MCSD Spring Break runs right on the heels of that, March 30 – April 3.
- We are planning to hold MCSD Spring Break as scheduled. This means that April 6 will be a potential date of return – however, this is only a potential date of return. A formal decision on this will be made in the days leading up to it and we will keep everyone apprised of this decision.
- The MCSD Office will be open March 16 – 27 from 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Overall Situation at MCSD: Very, very positive! Overall, we continue to be amazed at the unity displayed in the Murray Community. Individuals and businesses are stepping up to show support and lend a hand. A spirit of cooperation, patience, and responsiveness prevail.
- Assessment of Online School Today:
- Technology: As expected, there were a few small bumps here and there, but they were quickly smoothed-out and District IT staff felt in control of Chromebook distribution and tech support issues.
- Teachers and Students: Our teachers and students are rockstars! We are hearing many success stories and wins – too numerous to mention. Again, things that are rough at first will eventually become second nature and we are seeing the resilience and patience to make everything work.
- Internet Connectivity: Comcast is offering free internet service for a two-month trial. We in talks with Xfinity, Verizon, and Utopia about a similar offer we can leverage for families. We also have on order hotspot devices that will further help our students connect.
- Cleaning Schools: All MCSD schools were disinfected today, including hard surfaces and a general wipe down of everything. The disinfectant used has a settling time of about 10 minutes and a safe-to-return time of 15 minutes. So all schools will be fully cleaned and ready for students to return when a date is determined.
- School Lunch: The school lunch program began today and ran from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm, exactly as planned. There were 64 total students who took advantage of this program so we have the capacity to handle much more. We’ll continue to watch lunch counts and adjust our orders and preparation based on need throughout the school dismissal.
Picking Up Items at the School: If your student needs an essential item to continue their learning that is inside the school, please contact the school’s main office to schedule a time to pick that up. This will help us avoid traffic and wait issues. Students and/or parents will be escorted to the location to pick up the item. Students do not need to clean out their desks and/or lockers as we expect school will resume in the future.
- School Counseling: During this time of change of circumstance and uncertainty, many of your students may be feeling uneasy. Our School Based Mental Health professionals are ready to serve your students in a private counseling capacity. Please see their contact on this infographic. Additionally, they have compiled resources for families on how to talk to your children about Covid-19. Resources for families.
- How Are We Doing? We’d love to hear about your experience. We know there are things we can all learn so invite you to participate in this brief survey: http://bit.ly/mcsdsurvey
Updated: March 13, 2020, 7:45 am
- We have set up a tech hotline for those that need help connecting with their Chromebooks (801) 264-7411
- Students (grades 1-12) unable to leave school with their Chromebook yesterday can pick up at the District Office (5102 S. Commerce, Building #2) until 4 pm today.
Updated: March 12, 2020, 5:00 pm
A special thank you to parents, students, teachers, and staff of the Murray City School District (MCSD). We have noted the outpouring of your support in our decision to close MCSD out of concerns related to COVID-19. We recognize this effort is ongoing and we ask for your patience as we now work through the details.
Communication is important so we will be providing daily updates on this website, social media, and parent email system with information to keep you in the loop on our plans. If you have questions, please call the District Office at 801-264-7400 or contact us by email at email@example.com
Here is what we can share today as of 5:00 pm:
- All schools in the MCSD are closed until further notice, and we are monitoring this daily.
- Salt Lake County Health Department (SLCoHD) is investigating our report of possible COVID-19 exposure. Due to medical privacy laws, we cannot release information about schools or individuals. If SLCoHD confirms any significant COVID-19 circumstance that affects any Murray school, school personnel, or student, we will notify those potentially affected.
- Teachers and students will continue their classwork online as part of Digital Home Learning plan we have been working on for several weeks and had planned to test on March 27. Click here for details about the Digital Home Learning plan.
- All schools in the MCSD will now undergo a deep cleaning to ensure there are no traces of COVID-19 in our buildings.
- A modified version of MCSD Food Service will continue during the shutdown. Sack lunches will be provided to students (and others 0 – 18 years of age, regardless of MCSD enrollment) at no cost at our Summer program lunch sites between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm. Click here to read our official disclosure of food service provided. Foodservice sites will be at:
- Parkside Elementary School, 495 E. 5175 S.
- Horizon Elementary School, 5180 S. 700 W.
- Liberty Elementary School, 140 W. 6100 S.
- Hillcrest Jr High School, 178 E. 5300 S.
- Fireclay, 162 W. 4490 S.
- Front Gate, 4623 S. Urban Way
- Our intent is to re-open schools as quickly as possible, however, we do not have a timeline for that yet. We understand that school dismissal creates some challenges but we are committed to protecting the safety of our students and personnel.
- We are also canceling all extracurricular activities until further notice. This includes Utah High School Activities Association events.