Murray City School District (MCSD) believes it is important to acknowledge the immense pain and grief that many of our students, families, staff, and community members are feeling because of the tragic death of Mr. George Floyd and the devastating impact that on-going institutional and interpersonal racism has on our society.
We denounce racism of any kind and strive to create a school system free of discrimination and injustice. Last fall, a district-wide Equity Council formed that is working continuously to ensure we are meeting the needs of all students, particularly our Black students and students of color. We will continue to:
- Teach and advocate for more inclusive curriculum;
- Procure more literary resources from authors of color;
- Establish policies and practices that do not perpetuate harm;
- Provide anti-bias training, resources, and instruction to educators;
- Improve efforts to ensure our staff, curriculum, and instruction reflect the communities we serve.
“We Are Murray” is not just a catchphrase, it is the embodiment of all we strive to be. We are committed to leading with love, inclusiveness, and compassion for all. Education is powerful and we must continue challenging ourselves, students, and each other to examine our shared and uncomfortable history.
We welcome an extended and open dialogue with our community and believe working together will help lead us to healing and change.