Parents, just to update you on the Board’s Thursday (February 25) Study Session. Here is a link to view that full meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0a832BojQ
We have also broken the agenda down so you can review areas you are most interested in.
- Opening Statement from the Board (Jaron Cooper, Chair)
- Opening Statement from Superintendent Covington
- Statement and Q&A with Horizon Elementary Principal Whitney Anderson
- History of the Equity Committee/Council, Including Discussion of Book Bundles (Darren Dean, Director of Personnel/Student Services)
- Clarification on Memorandums (Darren Dean, Director of Personnel/Student Services)
- Equity Framework and District Metrics that Support Need for Equity Work (Missy Hamilton, Director Elementary Teaching and Learning, and Robin Williams, Director Secondary Teaching and Learning)
- Proposed Updates to Board Policy IN 304 “Text Review Policy” (Assistant Superintendent Scott Bushnell)
- Proposed Updates to Create Board Policy IN 303 “Library Media Policy” (Assistant Superintendent Scott Bushnell)
- Proposed District Transition/Expansion of Equity Council to Murray Opportunity Schools Advisory Council (Superintendent Jennifer Covington)
Finally, you should also know that because of the discussion, the Board has supported the District’s decision to remove the Equity Book Bundle suspension and those books will return to our school libraries. Parents may view all books located in a school’s library by clicking here. Parents may contact their school’s librarian if they would like to restrict their child from checking out specific books.