2018-19 BACK TO SCHOOL MESSAGE FROM SUPERINTENDENT COVINGTON:
Welcome to the new school year! The Murray City School Board has established the following four standards for our district: (1) Provide learning opportunities for students to excel personally, professionally, and academically (2) Foster a culture of mutual respect, leadership development, transparency, and collaboration (3) Integrate technology to impact student achievement (4) Ensure responsible stewardship over financial resources. Under their direction and support, the district has created an Action Plan centered on these standards. The overall focus of our Action Plan is to prepare students in our schools with knowledge and skills they will need to be successful in their future. We recognize that all students have unique needs, abilities, and interests, and we are continually looking at ways to provide our students with an engaging, personalized curriculum that will inspire and empower them to flourish as ethical and global citizens in the 21st Century.
This year we will be launching our Power Up initiative which will provide access to digital devices to our students in grades 3-12. Educational technology enables students to experience a personalized curriculum and helps them gain the skills necessary to be successful in a college and career setting. We believe that as we implement our Power Up plan, the result will be a transformation of our learning environments, which will accelerate student learning.
Another way we will be focusing on preparing our students of today for tomorrow is by promoting a rigorous understanding of content in all classrooms K-12. We want to ensure equitable access to learning to for all students. We will focus on this through the use of learning targets, success criteria, and questioning strategies in our classrooms. Sharing learning targets goes beyond just writing an objective on the board and telling students what the objective is in a sentence or two. Well-defined and articulated learning targets in our classrooms give students the ability to understand the learning goal and know what good work or mastery of the learning goal looks like.
In addition to our Power Up and learning targets initiatives, we are also looking forward to the following:
- Implementation of Focal Point K12 Data Management System to standardize the collection of student proficiency data on the Utah Core Standards and the Murray School District Essential Standards.
- Mental health professionals in all of our schools.
- District behavior intervention team.
- Security cameras upgraded across the district.
- Reunification drills in all of our schools allowing students and parents the opportunity to practice this important safety procedure.
- 1:1 technology purchased for grades 3-6, core content areas in grades 7-9, and all students in grades 10-12.
- Two technology educators to assist our teachers and students with our Power Up initiative and provide coaching and training as needed.
- Educators provided with online and on-demand professional learning in the use of technology and given the opportunity to earn an Educational Technology Endorsement.
- Implementation of the Student Support and Academic Enrichment (SSAE) grant which will allow Murray School District to focus on equitable access, rigor, and assessment for students in grades 4-9. (Murray was one of 11 Utah districts that received this grant.)
- Redesigned district website that is ADA compatible so that all patrons may access information as needed.
- The continued support of our Murray School District Board of Education in providing compensation to our teachers and classified personnel to remain competitive in recruiting and retaining effective educators.
We look forward to a wonderful 2018-2019 school year. Thank you for your continued support of your Murray Schools!