The Board honored MCSD’s Licensed Professional of the Year, Jill Hansen (Riverview); Teacher of the Year, Sara Paul (Horizon); and Education Support Professional of the Year Mary-Ann Anderson (Viewmon) Elementary; Superintendent also acknowledged appreciation to our eight retirees this year. They are:
- Jacquelynn Morgan – Riverview Jr. High, 37 years
- Delight Page – Riverview Jr. High, 31 years
- Karen Peterson – Liberty Elementary, 33 years
- Ginger Shaw – Grant Elementary, 36 years
- Jennifer Simpson – Grant Elementary, 37 years
- Maura Thatcher – Hillcrest Jr. High, 34 years
- Sheri Winn, McMillan Elementary, 27 years
- Dianne Wiscomb, Hillcrest Jr. High, 27 years
After approving the minutes, claims, and financial report, the board approved a second reading of PS 446.2 Murray High School Citizenship Credit Requirements for Graduation – 2nd Reading and Calendar Adjustments (2) 2023-2024 School Year – 2nd Reading.
The board heard individual reports from: Grant Elementary PTA; Murray Education Association (MEA); Murray Association of Administrators (MAA); Murray Education Support Professionals Association (MESPA); Murray Education Foundation (MEF).
- Grant PTA provided an overview of activities and events held this year
- MEA: New leadership, acknowledged retirees, NEA participation, completed negotiations.
- MAA prepping for the end of the year, thanked the Board, and completed negotiations. Hillcrest administrators reported on school programs and activities.
- MESPA shared a sampling of some specific successes with students.
- MEF talked about the annual golf tournament on August 25.
Report of the Board
Individual board members took a few minutes each to share their thoughts on different activities and interactions they had in the last month. Director Hamilton shared perspectives on the AIM Video.
Report of the Staff
- Secondary School Counseling Program: Keri Alder reported on Hillcrest and Riverview student support efforts; shared Data Project metrics, including remediation efforts
- Food Service Management Contract: Scott Taggart shared the results of the Food Service Management Contract RFP; Recommended Board accept a contract renewal with Sodexo. The board made a motion and passed it.
- Sex Ed Committee Report: Robin Williams talked about committee representation, staff training compliance was at 100%, notifications to parents, student handouts and materials; shared curriculum approval details and stated parents are encouraged to view it ahead of a presentation to students; detailed program assurances.
- USBE Elevate Program Contracted Services: Robin Williams shared Hillcrest was awarded this state-funded grant designed to improve school performance; She reviewed many of the benchmarks and preliminary work being done; Hillcrest was one of six schools in the state to earn this grant.
- Data Privacy Compliance: Missy Hamilton shared with the board efforts the District is making around data privacy agreements with different software vendor contractors to ensure state compliance.
- UTA Purchase of Property: Scott Taggart announced UTA had requested to purchase of some land adjacent to the district office to place a bus shelter; the Board approved the sale to UTA.
- Mental Health Screener: Darren Dean requested of the Board that MCSD offer mental health screenings, per recommendations; screenings would only be for three things: anxiety, depression, and suicide ideation; the State Board of Education provides the tools to guide screenings; MCSD would offer them on ESL registration night and mental health night in 2023-24 school year; screenings must be consented of by parents. The Board approved the use of screeners next school year.
- FY 24 Preliminary Budget Report: Richard Reese presented an overview of the proposed budget for FY 2023-24; Highlighted several legislative impacts and district highlights.
- School LAND Trust Plans 2023-2024 – 2nd Reading: Superintendent Covington reviewed briefly; Board passed the plans.
- Student Success Plans 2023-2024 – 2nd Reading: Superintendent Covington reviewed briefly; Board passed the plans.
[Go Here to Review the Full Meeting Agenda and Supporting Documents]