McMILLAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
315 East 5900 South
Murray, UT 84107
Phone 801-264-7430; Fax 801-264-7451
McMillan School Website
WE ARE McMILLAN!
- Principal: Joy Sanford
- Secretary: Teresa Bigelow
- School schedule – 8:25 AM to 3:20 PM;
Preparation Day, Friday 8:25 AM to 1:20 PM
- Kindergarten schedule: Half days only 8:25-11:30 AM & 12:15-3:20 PM
- Enrollment: 498 students KG-6th grade (2017-18 school year)
- School promotion: Hillcrest Jr. High & Murray High
- Mascot: Mighty Mite (miniature Spartan)
- School Colors: Blue & White
- Built: 1954 and originally named Hillcrest Elementary. In 1960 the name was changed to McMillan Elementary and is the only district school to be named after a local family.
A Brief History of McMILLAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
McMillan Elementary School was built in 1954 and originally named Hillcrest Elementary. It was described as a “modernistic type, with lots of light.” In 1960, the name was changed to McMillan Elementary to honor the McMillan family who formerly owned the property around the school, and is the only school in the district to be named after a local family.The school’s current custodian, Mitch McMillan, is a descendent of that family. In the 1970s, additions were constructed at the school, with remodeling again in the 1990s.
An energetic school, McMillan Elementary has always had an extremely involved and supportive PTA and parent community. Many traditions and activities take place each year, including The Nutcracker, which has been performed by 1st graders for guests for over 20 years. The school Fit Fun Run takes place each spring and is a popular community event. Individual grade-level traditions include 2nd grade Grandparent’s Day, 3rd grade Biography Fair, 4th grade County Fair, 5th grade State Fair, and 6th grade Country Fair. Home to the Murray District Gifted and Talented Program, McMillan Elementary recently held its first STEM Night, with a great patron turn-out featuring local business professionals on hand to explain their careers. Other school activities the students enjoy include: Principal Read Aloud, Move It, Reading Counts, yearly Science Fair, and Mighty Mite Monday’s.
McMillan Elementary School is a highly esteemed MCSD school with a bright and vibrant student body and staff.