MCSD seeks to promote a wide range of safety measures and precautions that protect students and educators. Today we emphasize recent calls for awareness by the U.S. Department of Education regarding safe firearm storage.
In a recent communication, U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona urged more education and dialogue emphasizing the importance of safe firearm storage. As parents and families, your active engagement in this matter is pivotal.
Why is this Important?
Firearms have become the leading cause of death among children in the U.S., surpassing motor vehicle deaths. Startlingly, over three-quarters of school shooters used guns brought from home. While this is not our sole focus of student safety, it is important that demands our collective attention and efforts.
The recent incident review of the 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School highlighted the need for responsible gun ownership. The Department of Justice is urging states to pass safe storage laws to help prevent these and other tragedies.
Addressing safe firearm storage can be challenging, but parental partnership with schools is important. Parents, families, and caregivers play an indispensable role in fostering a safe environment for our students. Your partnership with us can elevate awareness and ensure responsible gun ownership in our community.
How Can You Help?
- Take the necessary steps to invest in locks and safes the prevent unauthorized access
- Practice responsible key and code management; awareness and access to these should be limited and updated regularly
- Likewise, ammunition should be stored safely and separately from firearms; this additional layer is added protection from accidents and unauthorized use
- Educate family members about the dangers of firearms without supervision and establish clear rules and expectations surrounding their access
- Secure alternative protectives for temporary access; this can include lockable cases or cable locks that prevent their unintended access and use outside of normal security measures
Remember, responsible gun storage is a critical aspect of gun ownership that promotes both individual and community safety. Always put the well-being of your household and community as a matter of the highest priority. Together, we can contribute to safer home and learning environments for our children.
Finally, if you would like a FREE gunlock, contact District Prevention Specialist Sierra Marsh as she and her team of social workers have a limited supply.