|HORIZON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
5180 South 700 West (Glendon Street)
Murray, UT 84123
HORIZON FAST FACTS:
- Principal: Heather Nicholas
- Secretary: Caryn Waterman
- Secretary (part-time): Ruth Riches
- Administrative Intern: Whitney Anderson
- School schedule: 8:30 AM to 3:15 PM; Preparation Day, Wednesday 8:30 AM to 1:15 PM
- Enrollment: 682 students KG-6th grade (2016-17)
- Kindergarten: Full-day same as regular hours; Half-day 8:30-11:15 AM & 12:25-3:15 PM
- Spanish Dual Immersion Program: 1st through 6th grades (through application only)
- School promotion: Riverview Junior High & Murray High School.
- Mascot: Horizon Husky
- School Colors: Grey & Maroon
- Built: 1981
A BRIEF HISTORY OF HORIZON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
By 1979, increased traffic on the west side of Murray caused concerned parents to petition the school board for better safety measures. Although the board considered several options, they eventually responded by building a new school at 5180 South 700 West. During a board meeting in February 1981, the name “Horizon” was chosen for the new elementary school, and it was completed by November of the same year.
One of the long-enjoyed traditions at Horizon Elementary is the school Bell Choir performing at different venues through December with 90 bells making wonderful music. A popular school Vocal Choir also performs often at assemblies. The Fine Arts block is an emphasis for Horizon curriculum with students producing outstanding art work, and the Junior Achievement program allows fifth graders to attend JA City.
Horizon holds a yearly successful Fun Run, and Back to School night is well-attended. The school PTA puts together many activities for the Horizon community to enjoy. In December, a Sub for Santa Program is conducted school-wide with SelectHealth, the school’s much appreciated business community partner helping with donations. The annual Spring Carnival is held in May and always well attended.
Great staff support, parents support and the best students around make Horizon Elementary a unique and dynamic Murray City School District school!