Once again, Murray created some wonderful reflections in the annual national PTA-sponsored program that recognizes and showcases student access to the arts. Ten of our Murray students received state-wide recognition, which is an excellent showing for a district our size. One of our students, Asher Rees from Grant Elementary will be advancing to the National contest for his film entry.
Each year, over 300,000 students in Pre-K through Grade 12 across the country create original works of art in response to a student-selected theme. This 50+ year-old program helps them explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.
The theme for the 2020-2021 program year is I Matter Because… Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts.
We are proud of all our participating students and hope you will celebrate with us their great work. Below are the students receiving statewide recognition. Click here to see a full list of statewide winners.
Awards of Excellence (Advancing to National Contest)
Awards of Merit (Second and Third Place Awards)
- Noelle Thackeray, Dance, Longview Elementary, Intermediate Division
- Sander Rees, Film, Grant Elementary, Intermediate Division
- Savannah Shupe, Literature, Horizon Elementary, Intermediate Division
- Grace Taeoalii, Photography, Riverview Jr. High, Middle School Division
- Finn Larson, Film, MHS, High School Division
- Jameson Thackeray, Photography, MHS, High School Division
- Olivia Pendergraft, 3-D Art, Grant Elementary, Special Artist Division
- Brittany Gilmore, Dance, MHS, High School Division
- Alexander Bunker, Literature, MHS, High School Division
Next year’s theme will be “I Will Change the World By…”